ELIMINATE SPACE FILLERS FROM YOUR SPEECH!
SOME OF THE OFFENDING SPACE FILLERS
Are you deeply embedded in any of these word ruts??
THE PROBLEM WITH SPACE FILLERS
- They distract and annoy your audience
(Um-m-m sounds DUMB. Uh-h-h sounds like DUH-H-H.)
- They lessen the impact of your message.
- They give a negative impression about you
- No one likes to listen to nonsense syllables or words!
- Develop self-awareness of space fillers you use.
- Instead, quietly pause while you gather your thoughts.
The audience will not notice the moment of silence.
Pauses can even emphasize or enhance your message.
- Eliminate space fillers from prepared speeches.
Challenge yourself to have zero for an entire speech.
- Weed them out of all conversation. Discard this verbal
EXERCISES TO ELIMINATE SPACE FILLERS
- Ask someone to count your "um-m" and
"uh-h"s in a speech. Strive for zero.
- Exaggerate both the length and frequency of the
"ah-hs" and "um-ms" to increase awareness. Punctuate every sentence
and every word with a space filler on purpose. Now try the same sentence or speech without
Note! This is the original FPRC ca. 1998. It is made available for archival purposes only. Click here to return to the current FPRC.